Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Greaving Toffee


She loved to play


Few weeks old

 Getting a haircut
 Always in the middle of us. 
 Dig Toffee! Dig!

Eating out of Tadpole's hand


I... don't even know where to begin. How do you... express the deep sorrow over your childhood best friend/dog. I've had Toffee since Iwas 7 years old... and now...

Officially, she's missing. But she went missing Friday evening, March 15th. and hasn't been seen since.

What I think happend... Based off a dream I had... She went walking about dusk, when she suddenly had a sezure in the woods. Not being on our property when she finally got over it, she was SO lost... then she was attacked by wild dogs. Dream ended with me arguing with my father. I wanted to get home, he only wanted to go to work... but mid argue, the wolf jumped out of the woods and killed... I won't say.

But How do you... she was my WOLRD! I know she was old. but... oh! After everything I've lost these past 2 years, I didn't want her to be one of them.

Postive...

Toffee has been with me since I was 7. So there are many lessons I've learned with her at my side, or in direct connection to her.


  1. Be aware of another's need
Toffe had one ear that... didn't stand up right... why? Because when she was about 3 months old I forgot about her being on her leash when it was below freezing. That ear was frost bit. 

2. Laugh at yourself
My favorite memory was when she was little. She'd catch hold of her tail and go round, and round and round. 

3. It's alright to be a girl. 

This was something that happened to her. Prior to this, I was working so hard to outdo the guys. That day, everything changed. After having a real man up helping out with the chores... she managed to get her shoulder slit open on some tin. While the guy had done more that day, than I had all year in the garden... I was the one who stitched her back together. 

4. Don't be afraid to take on something bigger than you are. 

Toffee never knew she was little. Or old.... she took on ANYTHING. She's the one who allerted me to the mountain lion. She'd take on stray dogs... cars, strangers... Never bit anyone... not for show. When she attacked, you KNEW it. 

5. Always look out for others. And pull them away from danger even if it hurts them. 

As I said, Toffee was always becide me. Through my years as a goat heard, while I had rabbits. (She LOVED the rabbits. I could put them down with her and she'd just snuggle them in.) But twice she saved me from snakes. Both poisonous, both times she grabbed my leg and yanked me away when they struck. She knew I was prone to freezing. And she always made sure I was out of the way. 

6. In all things: Be gentle. (you'll get more cookies)

Toffee's favorite way to get her food was for one of the babies to put it in her mouth one piece at a time. She'd just open her mouth, and let you put it on her tounge waiting for your fingers to be a safe distance away. And she'd do this with ALL children. 

7. It's OK to be picky (Just be polite about it) 

That dog, because of her Epilepsy, was always on a strict diet. But when her teeth became loose... she started wanting only soft food. She'd sit there and look at us until we'd put milk on her kibbles. That dog LOVED cerial. 

8. Friendships don't have to be physical. 

Toffee never licked. Part of what we trained into her. But also, with me having SEVERE dog allergies, we almost NEVER touched. She'd come in, lay down beside me then scamper off. 

This also ment she never did learn the definition of come. She came when she chose to. The rest of the time... good luck. 

9. She always came if I cried. 

ALWAYS. The first time she got off her leash I thought she was gone for good. After looking for hours, I broke down crying in the barnyard. She was instantly in my arms. That was always true. If I was hurting, she was with me. My last memory was right before I had to go. She spent that entire time glued to my leg. And I forgot to say goodbye! She didn't touch me... but she was there letting me know she was there. I broke down crying, and she curled up against my back. 

10. She never let moles stay in her yard. 

She LOVED hunting mice and moles. She first figured it out from one of our cats when she was a puppy... after that, she hunted. Remember the first time I walked out into the kitchen and she had  a mole in front of her food dish. Yep... I was mad. We eventually trained her to leave outside... though she always put it in the path. 

11. Dig Toffee! Dig!

First trick she ever learned... only real trick she ever learned. Brilliant dog... and she trained us with it. 

But she LOVED to dig. So the kids trained her to follow a line in the sand to dig tunnels. All you had to do, was tap the ground and she'd go at it. When you were done. You went EEEH! Sit. and she would... normally... actually you had to distract her somewhere else. And hope she didn't see you digging... because then she'd be right back at it. 

12. Tolerate children. 

It wasn't just feeding she tolerated... the only time she EVER bit anyone, was when my cousin stuck her finger up her tail... yeah. I'd bite too. But everything else. She'd just roll with it. 

She loved blankets more than pillows. Being massaged with your feet, Sleeping in the sun... chasing bugs... running... following me while Idid pictures. If I stopped, she'd stand and growl at anyone who came close. If it was a bug... she'd normally eat it. 

I really don't know what I'll do without her. I miss her something awful. I wish SOMEONE would return her body to us so we can at least burry her. But... I doubt that'll happen at this point. I think her coller had her rabies tag on it... but nothing else. 

Another favorite memory, she was the one who introduced me to Vasthi and Vonner my Vultures. She loved those chicks. Stole the eggs at first... then... I think she'd also bring her the dead mice she caught. I'm not sure. 

The only real thing that'd bother me, is at 4AM every night she'd want to go to the bathroom... so she'd stand at the door yipping until someone took her out. At which point somewhere in the house you'd hear. "Someone hush the yip box." 

She had a bark for everything. Yip, was let me out, or in. 

EEHR! Was I'm hurt. 

Awoof! Was new car. come see. 

Woof, woof, woof! GERRRR, Mailman just got out of their car. 

Yip was also hungry... tirsty... and you could go down the list... she'd sneeze when it was a yes. 

Lord... help me through this. I don't know if I can have a new dog now. But oh I want one. Don't let Daddy get rid of her stuff! Bring us her body please. I want to bury my dog. My baby. Even if we are not staying there.  Amen. 

Coming to say hi

And get scratched. 
(Not at all bothered by that cat)

Her Guarding my back while I took picturs. 

So proud of the hole she had dug. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...