Wednesday, May 16, 2018

How To Approach a Roach (Poem)



Dear Reader...
For Grandpa...
My homework.





--------------------------------

A child ran oh so quick
In his hand, he held a stick
His fear I say was beyond reproach
He wanted to know how to approach a roach.

"Should he?" he asked with voice so soft
"Grab a shoe and mount the loft?
Should with the anvil high ahead
Let it crash in his stead."

"Is the bug a fright?" he asked?
"Would a light do the task?
Or maybe with a fire bold
Allow the knight a story told?"

"Is this beast a fearsome prey?
A danger to us night and day?
Or is this bug a harmless one?
When everything is said and done?"

"Should I with flowers yet in hand.
Durrive for me a clever plan?
Should I invite him yet to tea?
Or should this bug, let him be?"

"Is the roach a fearsome pest?
Is this yet their very best?
Do they indeed invade the home?
Or would they rather let us alone?"

"For one, I spy with my lil' eye,
Are there yet more to raise the cry
To mount a war against our homes,
And eat our food, and gardens roam."

"Do they yet eat my little hands
Is my pain yet in their plans?
If you will but be my coach,
Advise me how to approach this roach."

"Approach a roach dear child of mine?
Is this idea what has come of thine?
How to broach this simple task?
I say, dear boy, you have but ask."

"A pest or treasure this you ask?
Is this their job, or given task?
Are they for good, or wish they ill?
Diseases, dirt, and filth dispel?"

"A roach indeed is thought a pest,
They invade the home and destroy the nest,
They chew the wood and other things
And are indeed most unclean."

"They carry germs that make us sick
And rid the place is no picnic
For if one, I see climb up the door
A million more hide beneath your floor.

"A Coleoptera this they are,
Latin child, I'll explain more
In our homes, they've always approached
This is the pest we call a roach.


"Yes, dear child, they do bite.
And will with surprising might.
They love your socks, and underwear,
And everything left here and there."

"The bits of crumbs left on the stairs,
And some half-chewed gummy bears,
A dish or two you forgot to wash,
And that soda you happened to slosh."

"You see there be a lot they eat,
Now dear child how to defeat
How do you approach a roach?
This will be how I coach."

"If inside do smack it dead
There's plenty more to take his stead
Don't give for him a single tear
For he won't invade this a'year."

"But if outside, let him alone
For this shall be their good home
The roach inside is but a pest,
But outside they are blessed."

"They help the leaves to decompose
And dead bodies they help dispose
The droppings left by little Spot,
And all things you have forgot."

"They clean the world, prevent fire
And this is why God inspired.
To create for us the little roach
With all the colors I've yet to broach."

"In Egypt, they were thought to be
Gods of birth and destiny
I tell you, child, this is untrue
But thought back then by quite a few."

"So dear child so dear to me
This roach is not your enemy
Do not run or be afraid.
Determine how to give your aid."

"If outside, let him alone.
But kill the beast if in your home
And now that I have been your coach
You know how to approach a roach."


--------------------------------

Alright, there we go. Will probably need some editing later.

A few weeks ago, I hopped into the car and Grandpa said. "Your challenge for today, I want you to write a poem titled How to Approach a Roach... I did write something short, but I HATED it. This is better but still could use some work. The current plan is to take this, and its edits, illustratetrate it and turn it into a picture book.

I hope you enjoyed, any lines you can think of, or glaring mistakes, please point them out in the comments.

As always

Cowgirl Out


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...